I hope my story might help someone else, who might be in a similar situation, or give some insight to what a low fat high carbohydrate diet can do to ones body over 30 years.
I’m 6’4″, and 5 years ago I weighed about 112kg, with a measurement around the stomach of about 112cm – I was getting big, but I honestly thought that I wasn’t eating so bad. I’ve never been a vegan or vegetarian, but I used to eat a low fat, high carb diet – I was generally anti-fat on meat (if I could see it), and simply didn’t really know it. I ate bread with reckless abandon, and loved potatoes – generally cooked in vegetable fats. I would say I was indoctrinated to despise animal fat (as that’s what makes you fat right?!).
I did a blood test in July 2014, but it was all fucked – my lipds were way off, I was told cut back on fats, otherwise we’ll have to put you on statins – I read a book by David Gillespie, and a book by Yudkin, and I resolved to get better, and I cut back on fats more, and I gave up all refined or added sugars about 4 years ago – as a consequence, I
- stopped getting hayfever (had it since I was 10 years old, 200 tablets per year, now zero)
- stopped getting nosebleeds (hadn’t ever had one up until 3 years prior
- stopped getting colds, and sick
- stopped having inflamed glands on my neck and back of head
- stopped feeling like shit when I woke up, not sleeping very well at this point still though
- stopped getting plantar fasciitis, it cleared up
- lost about 20kg
- lost 15cm off the waist (awesome!)
I was eating ethically, buying local produce, ethically raised animals, and organic or self-grown vegetables .. I truly thought I was doing really good and had found the key with cutting out all added fructose and sugars – surely it would help my bloods. In August last year I did another blood test. Again, the bloods are still all fucked up – “But I’m eating bloody good right?! This is completely fucked up, what the!” .. I should be getting better in these lipid tests, wtf! But I was still eating bread, potato, minimal fish, etc.
Then I started reading more, and fell across Tim Noakes, Nina Teicholz, Zoe Harcombe, and I was starting to feel my mind going, foggy and cloudy .. then about 10 weeks ago I gave up all refined carbohydrates – no bread, no potatoes, and cut my net carb instake back to about 30-35g per day. I jumped in.
I did another blood test and got my results back on Friday, and while the doc was a bit concerned with my overall cholesterol level and my LDL, knowing what I know now I’m really not concerned at all with these .. these are my key stats past to now:
Total Chol: 6.8
VLDL (trig/2.2): 1.32
Total Chol: 6.4
VLDL (trig/2.2): 1.41
Total Chol: 6.7
VLDL (trig/2.2): 0.54
So, although I was eating as they wanted me to, and trying my hardest, my VLDL and triglicerides were heading in the completely wrong direction that I wanted them to, in the worst possible way!
Apart from the improved blood results
- my mind has cleared, and while I never thought I was heading that way I reckon my memory, my clarity has improved massively. I feel smarter, not because I think I know any better but my mind is faster
- I stopped having bad nights sleep insomnia
- I stopped getting itchy skin on trunk and neck
- I have 20/20 vision but I think my vision improved massively
- the awake/asleep switch (as in being awake or asleep is faster, and clearer – if that makes sense).
lost another 10kg, down to 79-80kg
lost another 6cm on the waist, down to 86cm
I did struggle through the keto flu for about 4-5 weeks, with some lethargy, and sleep issues, and a headache here or there, I now think I’m beyond that, and feel 100%.
I’ve not been this size, or weight since I was 19 years old. I’m eating better food, feeling full, really only eating twice per day but never hungry.
I truly believe my body was saying “you’ve had enough carbs mate, back the fuck off them or we’re going to fuck you up permanently”.
Anyway, lchf, saved my life.
1 thought on “C.D. improved plantar fasciitis and nose bleeds on a carnivore diet”
A follow up to this post ..
I’m now about 18 months into my keto/90% carnivore way of eating.
I’m now 76-78kg, and my waist (over the belly button) is 80-81cm. Fitter, healthier, stronger than ever.