Rich, fall-apart beef in a base of coconut milk and fragrant spices. Keto Crockpot Massaman Curry is an exotic comfort food full of spice, a slight sweetness, and a little tang.
Total Time: 8 hrs 50 mins
Calories: 441 kcal
- 2 lbs beef chuck cut into 3″ cubes
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemongrass stalk peeled and chopped*
- 2 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 5 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp beef bone broth
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk full fat, 1 can
- 1 star anise
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp Swerve Brown
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- Place all beef ingredients in a crockpot. Set on low and cook for 8 hrs (or on high for 4 hours). Beef should be easily pulled apart with a fork. Remove beef and reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid.
- Place all curry paste ingredients in blender/Magic Bullet/Ninja and blend until a paste is formed. Set aside.
- Pour oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook 5 minutes. Most liquid should be cooked out of it.
- Add coconut milk and stir together.
- Add star anise and reserved beef cooking liquid. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, Swerve Brown, and fish sauce.
Add beef chunks and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove star anise before serving.
*Lemongrass: Trim tough base from stalk, then peel off the reedy outer layers, leaving only the inner pale green part. Chop into small pieces.
Nutritional label does not include net carbs, so I’ve added that below.
Total Carbs: 3g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
NET CARBS: 3g
Nutritional information is provided for recipes as a guide only. It cannot be 100% accurate. It’s included as a courtesy to give a general account of a recipe, so one can see if the macros are within the ballpark of where he/she needs to be. It is automatically calculated using WP recipe software integrated with a nutrition API. Please calculate your own nutritional information with the exact brand and ingredients you used before relying on the ones included with the recipe.