This Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt recipe is a probiotic-rich food you can easily make. No yogurt maker or machine is needed for this budget and family-friendly recipe. All the benefits of raw milk are preserved in a delicious yogurt, cultured on your very own countertop. Follow along in the simple step by step directions or watch the video.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Culture Time: 12-18 hours
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 quart (liter) glass jar with lid
- kitchen towel or cheesecloth
- rubber band
- 4 cups raw milk
- 4 tablespoons raw milk yogurt mother culture
- Measure 4 cups of raw milk into a glass or plastic container.
- Add 4 tablespoons of mother culture and mix well.
- Cover with a towel or cheesecloth, secure with a rubber band.
- Set on the counter in a warm spot about 70-77°F/20-25°C, out of direct sunlight.
- Culture for 12-18 hours. Check by gently tilting the jar. If the yogurt separates from the side of the jar with a clean break, it is done. If it is still very liquid and pours up the side like milk, return it to the counter and check again later.
- Once set, refrigerate for at least 6 hours before eating.
- Follow the ratio of 1 tbsp starter : 1 cup raw milk, up to 8 cups per container.
- See post for specific starters we use.
- See post text for details on crockpot and Instant pot methods.
Check out our full shopping list of approved carnivore foods as well as a sample meal plan.