This Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt recipe is a probiotic-rich food you can easily make. No yogurt maker or machine is needed for this budget and family-friendly recipe. All the benefits of raw milk are preserved in a delicious yogurt, cultured on your very own countertop. Follow along in the simple step by step directions or watch the video.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Culture Time: 12-18 hours
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 quart (liter) glass jar with lid
- kitchen towel or cheesecloth
- rubber band
- 4 cups raw milk
- 4 tablespoons raw milk yogurt mother culture
- Measure 4 cups of raw milk into a glass or plastic container.
- Add 4 tablespoons of mother culture and mix well.
- Cover with a towel or cheesecloth, secure with a rubber band.
- Set on the counter in a warm spot about 70-77°F/20-25°C, out of direct sunlight.
- Culture for 12-18 hours. Check by gently tilting the jar. If the yogurt separates from the side of the jar with a clean break, it is done. If it is still very liquid and pours up the side like milk, return it to the counter and check again later.
- Once set, refrigerate for at least 6 hours before eating.
- Follow the ratio of 1 tbsp starter : 1 cup raw milk, up to 8 cups per container.
- See post for specific starters we use.
- See post text for details on crockpot and Instant pot methods.
For the printable recipe and complete recipe details, visit the Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt Recipe on Primal Edge Health and check our keto and carnivore cookbooks too!